There are a number of reasons why you may have discolorations or stains on your teeth—from drinking coffee, to smoking, to poor dental hygiene. However, even the most severe stains can be removed with our simple and common teeth whitening treatment.
How We Can Help
Teeth whitening is one of the most common cosmetic procedures, and with great reason! This simple treatment can reverse years of stains in very short amount of time. Here are a few things you can expect when getting your teeth whitened at College Drive Dental Associates:
- Your Appointment: If you think you might like to undergo a teeth whitening procedure, your dentist will work with you to schedule a special appointment for the treatment. Depending on the level of treatment needed, your dentist will determine whether or not you will need to book one or two visits for best results.
- Easy Treatment: Your dentist will first remove plaque, tartar, and other debris from the surface of your teeth to restore their natural appearance. They will then apply a gel or paste to the enamel, and place them under a heat lamp or laser to activate the solution. The procedure is completely safe, and will leave your teeth a dazzling white.
- Long-Lasting Results: With proper care, you can expect your teeth to look bright and white for months after your appointment.
Because this is an elective cosmetic procedure, you may find that your insurance doesn’t cover the costs. Be sure to determine if this is the case with your insurance provider. However, many find that these whitening procedures are well worth the cost, as the results will give you a beautiful smile for months!
Keeping Your Teeth Sparkling White
Once you’ve had your procedure, you’ll want to keep your teeth white for as long as possible Here are some steps you can take at home to ensure you keep your beautiful new smile.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing regularly keeps your mouth healthy, which can help you to prevent from the discoloration effects of gingivitis and gum disease. We recommend that you brush at least twice a day (preferably after meals) and floss at least once a day. This will remove any food and drink residue that will stain your teeth.
- Avoid foods that stain your teeth. To keep your teeth white, you might consider avoiding coffee, tea, sodas, and highly acidic foods (like citrus fruits). Tomato sauce, curry, and soy sauce are also known for causing stains on your teeth. Try eating crunchy, fibrous fruits and veggies instead—they boost saliva production and scrub your teeth as you chew!
- Quit Smoking. Tar and nicotine in tobacco products lead to brown and yellow discoloration on your teeth. Avoiding these products is a great way to ensure you keep your beautiful smile!
- Visit the dentist twice a year. A healthy smile is key to keeping your teeth white and avoiding ailments that can lead to discoloration, such as gingivitis. Be sure to visit your dentist biannually to keep your oral health in great shape.
To schedule your teeth whitening today, call College Drive Dental Associates to set up your appointment.